Autism Testing and Evaluation Services
At Tennessee Neuropsychology-Knoxville, we provide comprehensive psychological testing and evaluation services for individuals of all ages suspected of having Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Our professionals utilize evidence-based assessment tools and a thorough evaluation process to help diagnose and understand Autism, ensuring appropriate support and intervention strategies are implemented.
Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorder
Autism Spectrum Disorder is a complex neurodevelopmental condition that affects an individual’s social interaction, communication, and behavior. It is characterized by a range of symptoms and can vary greatly in severity and presentation. Early identification and diagnosis are crucial for accessing appropriate interventions and support. As other conditions have overlapping features with Autism, it is important to have a precise and accurate diagnosis in order to devise the right treatment for the patient.
Our Assessment Process
At Tennessee Neuropsychology, our assessment process is tailored to meet the unique needs of each individual. We follow a comprehensive approach that typically includes the following steps:
- Initial Consultation: We begin with an initial consultation to gather relevant information about the individual’s developmental history, concerns, and specific areas of difficulty. In many cases, this consultation may be complete on the same day as the testing session.
- Diagnostic Interview: Our experienced clinicians conduct a diagnostic interview with the patient and/or parents or caregivers. This interview provides valuable information about the individual’s early development, medical history, social communication skills, and repetitive behaviors.
- Observation and Behavioral Assessment: We employ standardized observation tools, such as the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS-2) and Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS-2), to assess social communication skills, play, and interaction in individuals suspected of having Autism.
- Neuropsychological Testing: We administer a range of cognitive, neuropsychological, and developmental measures and procedures to evaluate strengths and weaknesses across various domains. These assessments provide valuable insights into the individual’s intellectual functioning, language skills, adaptive behavior, and other relevant areas.
- Collaborative Analysis and Report: Following the assessments, our professionals carefully analyze the collected data and prepares a comprehensive report. This report includes diagnostic impressions, a summary of findings, recommendations for intervention, and any additional support services that may be beneficial.
- Results-Feedback and Recommendations: We schedule a results session with the individual and/or their caregivers to discuss the evaluation results, clarify any questions, and provide recommendations for appropriate interventions, therapies, and support services.
If you suspect that you or a loved one may have Autism Spectrum Disorder, we are here to help. Contact Tennessee Neuropsychology at 865-531-9088 to schedule an appointment or learn more about our Autism testing and evaluation services.
Age Ranges and Length of Testing
- Dr. Spica performs evaluations on individuals across the full life span, with emphasis on adolescents and adults.
Written Reports and Recommendations
- After an evaluation is completed, Dr. Spica will meet with the client (and often with family) to review the findings of the evaluation. During this session recommendations are made for treatment or other interventions, ranging from teaching clients how to best capitalize on the strengths evidenced in the evaluation, to referral to an appropriate professional in the client’s community for continued treatment.