Long COVID and Long COVID Testing
At Tennessee Neuropsychology-Knoxville, we offer specialized psychological testing and evaluation services for individuals experiencing Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC), also known as “Long COVID.” Our dedicated professionals recognizes the significant psychological impact that Long COVID can have on individuals and provides comprehensive assessments to help understand and address the associated symptoms and challenges.
Understanding Long COVIDLong COVID refers to a range of symptoms that persist or develop after the acute phase of a SARS-CoV-2 infection. These symptoms can persist for weeks or months, significantly impacting an individual’s physical, cognitive, and emotional well-being. Common symptoms include:
- Physical fatigue
- Mental fatigue
- Brain fog
- Difficulty concentrating
- Sleep disturbances
- Poor attentional sustain
- Mood changes
The Psychological Impact of Long COVID
Living with Long COVID can be challenging and have a profound impact on an individual’s mental health. The physical symptoms, coupled with the uncertainty and disruption caused by ongoing illness, can lead to various psychological difficulties, including:
- Anxiety and Depression: Long COVID can be accompanied by persistent anxiety and depression symptoms, which may arise from the ongoing physical symptoms, limitations in daily functioning, and uncertainties about recovery.
- Cognitive Challenges: Many individuals with Long COVID report difficulties with memory, attention, and information processing, commonly referred to as “brain fog.” These cognitive challenges can affect work, relationships, and overall quality of life.
- Emotional Distress: Coping with the prolonged effects of Long COVID can lead to emotional distress, such as frustration, sadness, irritability, or a sense of loss. These emotional challenges can impact relationships, self-esteem, and motivation.
- Adjustment and Coping Difficulties: Adapting to the changes brought by Long COVID can be overwhelming. Individuals may face challenges in adjusting to new limitations, managing daily activities, and finding effective coping strategies.
Our Long COVID Testing and Evaluation Services
At Tennessee Neuropsychology, our professionals are experienced in assessing and understanding the psychological impact of Long COVID. We provide comprehensive testing and evaluation services to address the specific needs of individuals with Long COVID. Our assessment process may include the following:
- Clinical Interview: We conduct a thorough clinical interview to gather information about your symptoms, medical history, and any pre-existing mental health conditions.
- Neuropsychological Assessments: We administer a range of validated neuropsychological assessments to assess cognitive functioning, emotional well-being, and overall psychological adjustment. These assessments may include measures of mood, anxiety, cognitive abilities, and adaptive functioning.
- Collaborative Analysis and Report: Following the assessments, our team carefully analyzes the data collected and prepares a comprehensive report. The report includes diagnostic impressions, a summary of findings, and recommendations for appropriate interventions and support services.
- Individualized Recommendations: We provide personalized recommendations tailored to your specific needs. These recommendations may include referrals to appropriate healthcare providers, psychological interventions, and strategies to manage symptoms and improve overall well-being.
If you are experiencing symptoms of Long COVID and seeking a better understanding of its psychological impact, we are here to help. Contact Tennessee Neuropsychology to schedule an appointment or learn more about our Long COVID testing and evaluation services.